Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Northwest Day 7 - Sandpoint, ID




After a good night sleep and crazy dreams we packed up camp. It seems when ever Cappetto gets good sleep, I do not. I guess my new trick is to fall asleep first. There is nothing worse than trying to fall asleep knowing your buddy in the tent across the way is snoring away... when you are just trying so hard drift off to sleepville, then SNORT...

We stopped at the killer breakfast spot called The Panhandler. GOOOOOD food in Sandpoint. Big breakfast really gets you goin' and I really needed it. Because today is the day that I will do the stairs. I am such a big whimp on obsticals. and I had to get myself going. I totally spazed out last night and I blamed it on the piercing setting sun and my long drive up. But to day there is no excuses.



So when we got there, the annoying weener kids could not be seen. And just when I said it 4 of them suddenly appeared. It's like the crawled out of the drain in the deepend of the bowl or something. And this time two moms with a set of Grandparents were there too!! UGH! It's not like I have anything against moms or dada or Grandma or Grandpa but when i am trying to concentrate I really do not want to hear, hey mom look at mee! or hey Grandpa I can roll!!! and then the board shoots into the deepend when I come carving around.



That is just what happened, three times, then the little kid went into the pool to get it, while all the rentals and grand-rentals watched and he fell, bent his fingers back and let out a blood curdling cry for about 15 minutes. I hadn't even got my Old School Vans high tops on yet... So I brushed my teeth, went to the bathroom...




But then, after about 20 more minutes they left. So I started to try the stair line, I had it all scoped out from last night. But then two more came and in goes the board... So John was nice enough to spot me on the transfer wall. I was not about to go without this cred. So after the second try and the third and the fourth, I finally got above the stairs and it was like, shit. I got this and sure enough I made it over... I am a man now. It is a right of passage, into skateboard manhood to get your first set of stairs.


The whole shame of it is that it is soooo easy to do, I double trucked it on the next pass. I hate myself for not doing it yesterday but I am glad that I am part of the club now. There are many more obsticals to come but at least I got this one.

No comments: