Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Northwest Day 20, 21 - Lincoln City, OR



We rolled into Lincoln City around noon. Suddenly the landscape got much better and the temperature dropped like 40 degrees! We went from 100 degrees to 62!! Oh yea, the right choice and good planning. Thanks to my annoying iphone with all of those annoying apps. But hey, it has been an amazing little tool on this trip. Skateropolis app, Google maps with GPS locator, Weather.com app for constant updates even the tip calculator/gas mileage splitter is pretty handy. Not to mention the Internet anywhere I go. It helped a great deal when I still had my online class going. I could check the email often and when a problem came up I could get to real Internet quickly.

This is not an add for any certain company, I'm just reflecting on how that thing helped out on this trip a great deal. It brought my coffee shop time down quite a bit too and that is much needed. John was pretty much annoyed on the second day... ha

So off we go through this super cool Northwest beach town. It is pretty tourist oriented but with more of a working class feel. When you go to the beach in Cali it is like, super rich everywhere, Rodeo by the sea blah blah blah. But here, it is pretty affordable.

I went straight to the Devils Lake State Park to try to get camping. I was especially worried because of the mass exodus from the hot inner Oregon. But we were in luck, I got a site for two nights. We set up camp and were off to the park.

The Lincoln City Skatepark is not your average park. It is a living organism that is constantly changing shape. It has been added on in many stages. The original I believe was built by both Monk and Red? 3-4 other stages were done by Dreamland and the locals. Yep, a lot of the locals actually helped design/build different parts of the park. And they say it with great pride. Not only do the totally shred the place but they helped build it!

This is sooooo cool. Cappetto and I were just talking this morning, when we get back... Well, I've got my DIY plans but also some Carwash plans (if we keep it) and also will need to be talking to Mary over in Whiting.. Forget doing stuff in Chicago.




So anyway the park. I am gonna do a few posts on this so it doesn't get too confusing.

First, the original flow up top. It must have been built between 2000-02. The surface is a lot like Donald and parts of Orcas. It is a very different pour than what is being done today. The flow is hard for me to figure out, mostly because you have to do all the gnar stuff in order to really keep speed and today, the first day, I am being a bit timid. Just trying to feel the place out.

There is one corner that will kick your butt if you are not careful. I found it last year and have already seen three people get catipulted out of it. It is pretty cool, with a snake run mini that rolls down hill and dumps into the flow area. There is also a spine that can be used and all kinds of transfers.



In the middle of the flow is a big pyramid thing with roll in area, 45 degree hips that border the big deep. Probably about 10' with a 4" bedrock vert wall. It is an older pour so the joints for each Q-pipe are visible and you can feel it, You really need to know what you are doing in this one because it is a great effort to keep speed and shred. But those that know it can really destroy. I have seen some amazing sessions on this thing and the footy from past Trifectas as well. Sooooo good!!

No comments: