Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Northwest Day 6 - Sandpoint, ID


We got back on the road and drove through some amazing mountain scenery. The pass towards Idaho is pretty amazing. Lots of downhills, semi truck run offs and scenic overlooks. So you of course have to watch out for people cutting you off to get to the scenic overlook, dudes falling asleep or taking pics while driving, and of course, run away semi trucks!

It was a nice ride though, but we were both getting a headache from the constant altitude changes. I think Cappetto's ear canal burst or something, it was bleeding this morning? He seems ok though, the dude just keeps on going! No complaints! I am stoked to be on this trip with him. I think a lot of people would have cracked after one day of the stress of finding a place to camp and believing that it is Ok to do this... plus the threat of bears and wilder beasts and hillbillies!!



We got to Sandpoint, ID in the late afternoon, I kinda forgot where the campsite was so once again we drove around for about an hour, but finally found it. It's like "there's a country road with a lake on it" and 25 minutes later "where's the lake?" oh, maybe it is the next road... But we got a sweet spot. Across from where I was last year. This was the official free campsite, the other side was a bit more wild. It had a super dirt road with lots of rocks and deep puddles, it had rained up here as it did at Whitefish and was still a bit muddy.

But it was a good spot.



We got a nice night sesh in at the park. i love this little pool and the rest of the park flows really well. It had been a while since I rode a mini so that was fun too. The local kids do every kind of combo trick you can imagine and when I rode it I understood why. The one side is so mellow that I might even be able to pull off a blunt pivot to fakie... Well, maybe not.



We met some older locals who were super cool including the local shop owner. Dethbox skateshop. He had a super pimp Karman Ghia wagon. I am starting to re-live my infatuation with VWs. When I get back and I get my barn/complex I am getting one, along with an original mini, VW bus and VW 4WD eurovan with the double round headlights... keep dreaming.

No comments: