Sunday, July 12, 2009

Northwest Day 4 - Whitefish, MT



We took the "Sun Road" out of Glacier National Park and left outer space. That is the only way I can think of calling it because it is so far removed from anything that I could call normal in my life. I keep wanting to move out there but then this would be "normal" and I might be even more messed up. Chicago is a good base camp and the world is just a drive or a plane ride away.











We arrived in the amazing but recently "rich people tainted" Whitefish, MT. It rules! It was culture shock to enter a town with so many fancy resterants and McMansions but we just drive on by. Driving through town is fun because you go by the stores the locals go to and then the area where the people paying $388 a night to stay there go.



We headed up Big Mountain with hopes to find the free campsite I found last time. Only I went up a different road and it was like some kind of resort or something, GROSS! We turned around and found the right road but it was all money-ed up too!! In only a year these developers built like 20 homes spaced out as you go up the mountain. Most are empty or for sale so that tells you something about the boom and the edge that they fell off of.






I don't know why I get so upset about this, Cappetto was kind of pissed at me for complaining about it. But it bugs me. I guess because I wish I could have that too but not that way. Doing this trip last year really messed me up for a while. The only thought was to not move here and become part of the problem but visit, enjoy Montana and then leave. So hopefully it will be here again the next time I come through. But try to tell that to some CEO wanting a dying to spend his or her bailout bonus $$$.




Enough of the ranting, the awsomeness was still there and we got some cheap boigers again and camped. My sleepy time was better than the night before, I wasn't on a gully spot but I still didn't quite get that great of a rest... However, my back is feeling sooooooo myuuuuuuch bettttttah! Considering that I was crooked and bent over for 5 days and today I was shredding the Whitefish park is not too believable.



I hope it stays healthy, but the whole stretch, skate, rest, stretch, skate... thing that awesome Mike Smith recommended is working! Thanks Mike - we keep joking that you are the new team member for the Possum ramp!! Hope to see you there often when we get back!!



We plan to get some more session in tonight and hopefully tomorrow so I'll put up more pics of the park tomorrow afternoon. Hope to find the good camping again tonight, sleep and no rain. But it is 40% after 11pm so who knows...

No comments: