Thursday, July 9, 2009

Northwest Day 2

So we made it to the cheap camp site last night. We got everything set up and Cappetto wanted to do a beer run. Unfortunately the local gas stations did not sell any. I was kinda hungry because we forgot to eat in trying to make it to the site before dark. The only thing open in town had slices of bad pizza for 4 bucks! Crazy.



As you can see from this pic, it was a rough night. The weather was perfect until it was time to sleep. As soon as I shut my eyes, the wind started blowing in bursts. I looked on my trusty space phone and the gusts were up to 30mph! Kinda dumb to camp in a tent! I had looked earlier and it changed from 10-15... Anyway so it felt like I was possessed the whole night because my tent was blowing all over the place. It is an octogon shape so it acts like a parachute and just plane sucks in wind.

Oh and rain. It started raining around 4am. I must have fell asleep for an hour but then woke up in a pool of water with my tent nearly buckled in half. It was time to go, Cappetto was up too and he was having similar problems.



We got out of there by 5am and found this cool diner about a half hour past Fargo. The coffee was plentyful and the food was hot so all was good on a rainy morning...




At one point we had softball sized hail blasting the little Fit. Well, I decided to keep going and drive out of it rather than pull over and let the car get pelted.





The rain eventually ended. We got to stop at the National Buffalo Museum and frontier town... It is a very fun road side attraction. I hit it up last year too. They have a museum, the frontier town and the worlds largest Buffalo!!! It gets you out of the car, you walk around and see stuff.



I always liked the bank and the jail. The goats are a new addition from last year. However the Buffalo never come out!










Having said that, we also made a stop about 4 hours later at the ultimate North Dakota experience. Theodore Roosevelt National Park. There is a rest stop that gives you a perfect view of Painted Canyon, a breath taking experience.



The 2-fer was the fact that a heard of wild buffalo decided to hang out in the parking lot. We kept our distance but I got some good pics!!



I think we were on the road for 14 hours today??? with 1 hour of sleep. UGHHHHHH

No comments: