Saturday, July 26, 2008



So after I got things going this morning and finally decided where to go today things got better. I kept sneaking WiFi along the way trying to locate a different park in the area but alas there was none worth the drive. But this worked out better because it gave me the excuse to drive my ass back to Donald and try to ride that pool. That was one of the big objectives on getting here - to ride pools.

We do not have any in Chicago (or any I am privy or allowed to go to) so I have to get it here while I can. I made the mental note to drive more frequently to Powell, OH. The pool there is really good but the shallow has too much flat so you kindly just hang out for a while until you hit the next tight ass wall. It is a load of fun though and very well built.


Whereas Donald is as close to a gnarly real pool I have come to! So I spent about 3 1/2 hours there today. As soon as I pulled in these groms rolled up. So I took my time and they got bored pretty quick. I luckily had some time to take it all in and try those tight transitions some more. It think I improved and that is always good. Riding a real pool basically will cut your skills in half and you have to ride at least twice as hard to go 1/4 as fast as one would in an average park bowl.

Unless of course, you know how to ride a pool or are from here or Cali or Arizona, etc. But for a 215 pound midwesterner - I did so so... But it is also about the challenge, the experience and so forth. This is what I was needing and wanting. Things got really stale back home for me and it is all getting better. I think I will actually go back and not be bummed on our parks anymore. You just need to get outside the comfort zone and see what is out there before any real decisions can be made. At least for me. It just all seems to gel - even when all seems to be lost!!

I actually got some video which I am a little ashamed to show but at least I got a few scratchers... VID:



That took a long time to upload - I never shot video with my camera before!!

I should note that the July edit for such luck suchluck.com is out and check it. It was pretty cool to see the July edit so far from home. Tim does a great job covering street skating in Chicago and good skaters riding bowls... He had a great BBQ for Alex's graduation and for the sake of having a BBQ! It was only like two days before I left too. So it was cool to see everybody before the departure. (Departure, Max Beckman has a great painting called "Departure" I can relate to it a bit more now)I didn't tell anyone I was going at that point because I was still unsure if I actually had the guts to do it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome video. More please!

Keep on trucken' and writing,
Eric P.

Tim Widmer said...

Cool trip- reminds me of my climbing days when I was single..
If you are up my way (Gates, OR) I can give you the skinny on all the free campsites.. Also hitting Aumsville is a must-. I know you are probably going toward L- City, which is the coolest park, but if you are going down the coast- Newport, toledo, are average, Florence is strange, Reedsport is a must go. Brookings as well. If you go to K-falls come through Aumsville, up and over the Santiam Pass, hit Madras, Redmond, and K-falls is 2 hours south of Bend and will set you up for the CA park. Camping is much better on my side. Aumsville is about 2 hours froms Lincoln City.
You can email me Tim.widmer@gmail.com, or go here
MillCitySkatepark.com