Thursday, July 24, 2008

Motherland Stomp Day 10 - Burnside - the font



I got up in the morning and it was cold!! But I slept well and long - I crashed around 10pm and got up at 7 - oh I am ready now! I ate a crappy MCD's never again - not worth it, gassed up the fit and off I went. I was also still pissed about the ticket and it was staring at me so I put it away. I'll deal with that shit later. My day brightened again when I saw this house with a replica of the golden gate bridge and a Yellow Submarine!! So cool!! It immediately made me reinforce my CA plans. I was actually thinking about turning back after all the shit yesterday..

My goal to day was to hit Burnside - maybe I would sneak in and take a few pics but not skate. I was kinda really edgy about the whole thing. I had heard so many stories about the place and I wanted to get there early just to be there and experience it. This is the beginning of Grindline and Dreamland!! 17 years of DIY illegal skatepark building and shredding.



The city of Portland eventually tolerated it and Burnside became the model for every skatepark out there today!! It is amazing to be here and to take the opportunity to check it out.

When I arrived it was just me and two other dudes. I was like, cool, maybe I can skate this thing. I am such a tourist, kind of like Chicago - everyone thinks that when they get to Chicago, Al Capone is gonna shoot you with his Tommy Gun and throw booze bottles at you and chase you out. Machine Gun Kelly is gonna gun you down in an alley with screeching tires in the gettaway car.





I thought I would get beer cans thrown at me and told to get the fuck out bitch!! But luckily it did not happen. I WAS able to skate the font of all of our great parks in this country and I was very glad to have the opportunity. After a while I had some good lines and the street skater kids still did not!! Ha! I actually found a killer speed line that took me all over the park. sooooo fun!!






Go to Burnside - check it out and you will never complain about another park again. you will ride this one and love Whiting. You will realize that this is where they learned how to do it. The surface is rough and you have to work very hard to find speed. This place is great and I have the utmost respect for the park and the people who built it.

This kid from AZ was there and then some people from Canada showed up. A couple locals arrived and everyone was going at once. Then a whole ton of kids popped in and the wierd homeless guy was not distracted from eyeing me and my car and my bag. So, I decided it was a good time to go, not get ran into and not get approached for a ride or who knows what.. I survived, had a killer time and my trip is going well again!!


Thank you Burnside!!!!!

No comments: