Sunday, July 27, 2008

Motherland Stomp Day 12 3/4-14 part 2


So after I calmed down about grouchy campground man I arrived at my destination, Lincoln City, OR. It is very resort/touristy so I know I can't stay here overnight. I'll need to find camping down towards Newport later today. I am not going back to ODB's campground!!



I finally got some coffee too!! So the park was very easy to find (thanks to Northwestskater.com.) and I was immediately in awe! I checked the park out and walked around. Lincoln City has been added on to a few times over the years and I have a feeling it is not done yet!! Up top you can see the evolution of Dreamland. There is an older flow with a finish and design similar to Donald or Newburg. That dumps into the crazyiest gnar gnar down hill snake run with pool coping, a love seat, cradles, humps and a 13' bowled section to shoot you back around. Off to the side is the sweatest little fish pond with a big granite tombstone and a collection or several different pool block, rock, brick, parking block whatever you name it coping all combined.


The newer area consists of a covered flow with hips, spines, cradle, vert wall all fun - perfect poor, probably the best flowing flowbowl I have ever ridden. You never run out of speed, there is a tight capsule area and it reminds me a bit of the Turf. The pool is the raddest thing I have ever skated. I love Donald but this pool is even more challenging. Very tight, but super smooth, nice coping and danger everywhere. I skated the park for over three hours and barely got a grasp. The groms where kinda nuts around here. I think most of them were from out of town because this one kid up top kept yelling down at them SHUT UP BITCHES!!! Then all the rippers showed and the groms scattered!



I even had to yell at one of them, he kept rolling in on me in the flow bowl. Sometimes you just have to bark a little and then they will respect you a bit. He kept making cracks at me but oh well. I explained to him that I just don't want to run into him...



After about 2 hours of exploring this massive park and riding the fishpond which is soooooo fun!! A woman pulled up with balloons and signs saying park closed... I was like WTF?? So I asked her what was up and she said the upper part was gonna be closed for a B-day party from 2-5pm.. I was cool with that since I checked it out and was mostly interested in the lower area and the fishpond... I asked some tuff looking dudes about it and they just said "Mark's kid is going to have a party here"


I thought to myself - this mystery will unwind soon. Sure enough,as I was over riding the fishpond, I saw "Red" or Mark from Dreamland from across the way... He came over to me, I introduced myself and all. I tried not to geek out... But I am kinda stoked that I got to meet him. The guy is a legend in my eyes - great skater, incredible skateparks. It is like meeting a great artist - someone who will be revered for a long time in skateboard history. I didn't bother him anymore. I just don't want to tick anyone off... i am so glad the kid that I yelled at wasn't his kid. You just never know out here... What is next, Riley Hawk snakes me??



So I went over and tried to ride the pool. It is soooo tight to drop in on but after awhile it gets better. I have zero happening other than drop, front slash, back carve in shallow, back carve again and out... The locals just totally kill this place. OMG. This 40 second video might back that up?? I saw Donavon there too. I really don't know him that well and I have very little cred here so I'll just observe and try to get lines in the pool.


Gonna go back again later - just need to get some camping.

1 comment:

Morley Musick said...

I saw this in the thrasher Northwest tour. That park looks so sick Lou.