Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Motherland Stomp Day 14 – continued – Newport skatepark and the Beach – screw the skatepark – go skimmin’!!!




So I drove only like 30 miles today, ha! The next stop was only like two towns down the coast. There are beach communities everywhere and surf everywhere. Maybe not big surf but good enough for us Chicago ducks. And you know there won’t be much of that locals only stuff either.

I got into town and drove around a bit – I got my campsite at South Beach State Park around 3pm. Chilled for a bit in my tent because this morning’s skim sesh really wore me out. Oh, and I skated Lincoln City for hours again. So it was great to just chill for a while, eat a PBJ and regroup. Something I have not done yet!

The campground is sucky but beggers can’t be choosers when you are in such a busy area. I would definitely make sure you have either reservations or come during the week. Monday afternoon even had no vacancy signs on some of the campgrounds. Lots of people obviously go to the coast on the weekends and summer...


Traffic around here is crappy. So after many u-turns, pull-in’s and MF’s, I finally found the Newport skatepark. I drove around way too much for this thing. It is worse than the descriptions online. The Check Republic dudes where there shredding and then speaking about the horridness of the finish and even video taping how bad it is. I mean, if there were no other parks around it would be the shit. And it certainly is better than 31st street or Northbrook for that matter but the finish is rough.

I was just not into it and I spyed a killer skim spot with multiple streams heading into the ocean a few miles back. So I was all about hitting that up!!! When I got there I felt like I was in the movie Point Break or something – not to geek out but yes – it was really cool puling up to the ocean and all. I wish I was surfing but the skim is the shit.


I was out there for hours and hours and hours!! The conditions changed every 5 minutes and the skim went on for ever and ever!! I never had so many long runs and by the end of the day was getting 180s and revert and even 360s!! Tricks are for kids but that stuff is fun. You won’t catch me doin’ shove its and rails and that shit - - Danforth does not approve of that.


There were some surfers going out as I was leaving. But the waves seemed like beach break waves. They kept moving around and I could see how the surfers were getting frustrated. But when they hit they were pretty good. Probably about as good as the best day on Lake Michigan but with salt water. I was even feeling a bit of buoyancy with my skimboard. By the end of the day I was cruising down the beach and hitting waves and floating over them for a few seconds.

So anyway, good times were had today!!!

I took some footy but it is so so - -

1 comment:

Benjamin Skwirut said...

Awesome video, Lou.

I check your updates daily with my cup of coffee in the morning.