Saturday, July 26, 2008

Day 11-12 Donald, Newburg, McMinnville - BLM happy land and then again the next day


I headed out of the state park and made my way to Newburg. It is kinda fun though because I am now just driving through the countryside. I am seeing very small towns and farmland. The area is pretty populated but it is a very rural setting. Most of the eastern half of the state is national forest land so I guess just west of center is the most populated area of the state.

As I was driving I kept saying – all is well – just hope to find a campsite later… Make it happen BLM land is the magic word!!

Mother Land Stomp Day 11 Newburg – McMinneville
When I got to Newburg I was kinda laughing at the directions from skateoregon.com. They read “Blaine St. all the way (gravel road) to park”. They seem a bit vague but just with those few words described it in total detail. Great work!!

Newburg is I believe and older Dreamland park (?) as well. It was super mellow and a massive flow bowl. There were some cool features though, parking blocks on top of some of the transitions and lots of stuff to pop in and out of. It is good to see these parks too because you can better understand the evolution of the parks being built today. It actually reminded me a lot of Burnside. Only much bigger!


So I headed out of there and moved on to McMinneville. This park is so gnar I can’t believe it. It was a big destination for me (on the Indy vid) but by that time was so worried about where to stay tonight that my nerves were totally gone again. So, I didn’t stay too long but I did get some runs in and it is rad. I believe the park was rebuilt at one point and some repairs were made??


Dave from Northwestskater.com quoted “they needed a drain set up large enough for fish to get out of the bowl when the nearby river floods. So they left a 7’ hole in the bowl..” Yes, gnar. And, I hate myself right now because I didn’t go over it. But I am still walking - I guess I’ll have do it next year!! This is the maiden voyage and when I come back it will be with a crew I hope and they will not let me leave until I am grinding over it. You pretty much have to grind when you go over because there is not much space otherwise. And if you don’t do it, there are few lines other than kick turning this tub.


A kid was beating the shit out of his carbon fiber board. It was comical. I was there the week before I left. Just frustrated and stuck in a rut. Not fun.

So my next move was to get a place to stay for the night. Like I said BLM is the magic combo. I gassed up the Fit and luckily found the road to freedom. It was not labeled on the map, other than a red line. So, I was on it and this road just cut through the backcountry. It was quite a great driving experience. The road winded along all of these back country hills and farms up into logging land. So I got to see all of this land, some of it was filled with beautiful pine trees and other parts were stripped bare and re-planted.


I was watching that show on History channel about the loggers out here and the life and the job. It was pretty good. So, I was kinda interested to see this stuff. I kept waiting for the BLM signs to pop up but the further in I got the less it mattered. You could pull off anywhere here and nobody would ever find you. I actually went down some logging roads and paths that I thought might be the BLM campsite but had to turn back. It got pretty serious back there and the Fit can do some stuff but not 3’ ruts… I doubt AAA is gonna be coming by anytime soon!!

It was really cool just cruising out here and my stress level was dropping the further I got in. There are a bunch of 4WD dudes and Enduro guys out here, I wish I had a quad out here… Eventually I entered the official BLM land and was relieved. Make it happen. Another half hour in, I did find the first campsite (Dovre) which runs along the Nestucca River. I drove past and got to the next two sites – Campsite full – Oh, man I turned around so fast and raced the fit back to Dovre!!

I got my site and all was well! So stoked. I just need to chill for a while here and re-group. I may even stay here through Sunday. I think McMinneville is kinda far though and Lincoln City is also a ways up the pipe.



I walked up and down the river for about two hours and it is beautiful out here. Pics:


When I got back to the campsite just as quiet time was happening this total white trash family came in and have been just making so much noise. Paradise lost, well I got the I-pod in now as I write this and hope they will settle down after a while. We’ll see. I just wanted to chill and try to get my brain reset and get prepared for the next park. I want to skate Lincoln City for at least two days. This one needs to be taken much time with.


I am also kinda stalling because I know camping will be more available during the week. At least I hope. So the plan is to head on out and take the next week to hit parks all down the coast and so on, up to Klamath Falls. I will hopefully stay there for a day or two and then get into Cali.


I want to hit Mammoth, San Jose, San Fran. Santa Cruz and then down to LA and do Etnies, Culver City, Vans and >?? We’ll see.

Day 12 - Yep, I am staying. I am at a hot spot out in the Staples parking lot in McMinnville. I checked the Interturd this morning and there are no parks in the area worth while other than the ones I hit yesterday. So, I guess I am gonna hit the farthes one Donald - that green pool is rad and how many times am i gonna be able to hit a pool?? Zero in chicago.

So, I'll do that, head back and stop at Walmart to get supplies - get my 99 cent burrito from Taco bell and I'll be in good shape. I am going to Lincoln City tomorrow (Sunday). I scoped a few camp spots north of there so I'll check them out on the way down. I think Lincoln City is another populated area with $$$ for camping/hotel... Wish me luck!!

It feels really good to have a campsite for a few days. Like a home or something. The people next to me are soooo annoying though. But there are other good people here. I saved a spot for this one dude who's crew is cool. So no worries. It just fortifies the reason for why I live the way I live. If I got stuck with that unhappy woman for my life I swear I would move to the moon!! She just talks super loud, swears at her kid all day tells him "were goin home if you don't stop" the kid was crying and her response was "you better not throw up or I'll beat your ass"... Just total low life. They didn't even pay for the site (honor system). Oh well, I am not gonna have to deal with them until tonight and I have ear plugs!!

later

No comments: