Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Motherland Stomp Day 16



Well, it rained all night long. But I did manage to get some decent sleep. I was really afraid that I would wake up in a pool of water, but that would be better than a pool of blood!! I found a great campsite that ended up being free. I pulled in and set up camp early. I was pretty sore from the skim marathon still. After about an hour this freaky old blazer pulled in across the way. This dude with the most serious short long ever (the back was super long and the top of his head was bald) got out of the car and disappeared . After about an hour another old car pulled up. He ended up running out of gas and must have went for more. The people that were with him were even more Deliverance-ish and I was kinda not into that. So I hiked up the hill and waited until they left. Luckily they never came back. I did sleep with the crowbar next to me again.

It was an excellent night other than that. Nobody around for miles, it was so quiet - I played my guitar for hours and did the nightly journal and stuff. I even built a fire but never lit it. At about 10pm it started to rain and it never stopped. I woke up in the middle of the night and my hair was all wet and my feet/sleeping bag by my feet were soaked. I am just a little too tall for the tent so I was getting condensation. But other than that all was good.

I got up and headed into town to the first spot, Myrtle Point. I was kinda not into it again. The park was not all bad but the flow/streetcourse connected into the bowl and I hate that. I really prefer closed bowls/pools. The deep was about 9' with 2' of vert. There was a cool hipped wallride thing and some other decent features. I was interested in the deep end. Trying to size up my vert ramp the same transitions but only 8' high with 1' of vert is what I want. I originally was gonna do 24' wide but the barn is only 30' x 45' so it would take most of the barn up... I may just do 16' wide. I just want to get some shit this winter and transfer it to these big parks.

I moved on to Grants Pass, OR. I took my time and enjoyed mountain views the whole way. It is so nice to drive through and stay in all this great country. I am still not all that bummed that the parks are not awesome.





I got into Grants Pass in the late morning but was totally not feeling this one either. I spent some time on it. It has potential but the poor is not so good and the coping is ok. The bowl is like a snake run that dumps into a kind of clover/combi. It is not over gnar either. The square bowl has the really weird generic pool coping on it. It looks like they put down metal coping and then covered it with concrete? Ugh. Not that I am that stuck up but it was what it is.

SO I then moved on to Medford, i decided to get camping just outside of Medford, hit that park and Jacksonville and then hit the rest tomorrow. There are like 5 parks in the Medford area. However, they are all older and just not up to par with the Dreamland/Grindline parks up north. SO, I wish I knew this when i had planned to head south. I heard they were not as good but I just figured any park in Oregon is gonna rule!! But you have to argue that they are older parks and stuff that was built in 2000 is just not the same as the parks done since 2004?

Medford is probably the worst bowl in Oregon that I have been to so far. The weird coping is there again, goofy transitions, bad poor and the design. Well two square bowls with a crows nest drop in - I guess they were trying to do a combi thing. The water fall is super steep and deep. Garbage everywhere and just not too inviting. Helmet law to boot - - 100 dolla fine. I was out before i barely got in.




Jacksonville had potential. It looked like Dreamland or Grindline came in and added to what was already there. SO, the park is divided in half - great poor and good coping on one side and well, the other side. The only problem is it just does not flow as it should because they added on to a bad design. I really hate to be dogging parks but they are what they are. If it was all I had I would ride it every day. But, I drove over 4000miles so far and I want radicalness!!




I may just head straight for Klamath Falls tomorrow because I just can't keep riding this stuff for only an hour and want to leave... I may spend a little more time in Cali anyway and get some seriousness in at Weed, Mammoth, San Jose, Santa Cruz, and then to the LA area... I just have to get a map and find campgrounds and cheap hotels when I have to.

No comments: