Thursday, July 17, 2008

Mother Land Stomp - Day 3 - the drive



I was driving late into the night but the sun never went down?? I tried a few campgrounds, one wanted $27 for my tent to take up 6' of space so I left out of there. Another place did not accept tent people. Nearly every exit in upper MN has campgrounds, just some of them are like 20 miles off the road or are poorly marked. It is a bit of a crap shoot.


I finally got really lucky just outside of Fargo, ND. I found this spot right off of the Highway and I was in for a good spot. I went down this gravel road to what looked like a farm house but just to the left, there was a little campground. I kept looking around for the booth with the mean old lady and the dingy light that makes everything flicker and yellow.. But that was not there. All I found was a drop box and a mail box filled with envelopes.


Eureka!! A campground that runs on the honor system. Tents were $6 per night! I was sooooo happy to find this. So I put my $6 in the slot and found a nice space for my fit and tent to stay for the night.

I got all set up and did my nightly ritual, reading, writing down what I did, checking the map, etc. I was getting into a good slumber when suddenly I heard a burst of thunder. Shit!! So after a few more warnings from the sky, I got out and put the rain cover on and not soon after did the little rain drops begin to pitter patter on my tent. No biggie though, everything stayed dry inside and I did get to sleep. So all was well for $6 a night. I really hope I can find more of the same out here because I won't get far on $27 a night to sleep by the HWY...

I got out on the road by 9:30 and made my way to I-94. I went through Fargo ND around 10am but was being stubborn about stopping. Calabro had just called and was telling me how his computer broke and he never bought the ticket for this Saturday and blah blah blah... i wish he would just tell me the truth for once. The problem is that everything is speculation with him. I am one of those people that means what I say. If I say I will be there I am gonna be there... So, it is sometimes frustrating. Maybe he will show up, maybe not. Either way, I am gong to freakin' Oregon!!!



Dacia also showed interest but I was so pissed at MC that I am not sure what I even said to her. She is getting better and better at skating and wants to hit a skate camp out there. Might be cool???

So I mostly ran off of car food today but did see some sights. I actually stopped for some roadside attractions and stuff. I stopped at the Buffalo Museum in Janestown, ND. The "Worlds Larges Buffalo" is there. It is a giant fiberglass buffalo. And the Worlds Largest Buffalo Butt!!!

They even had a frontier town, pretty cool. I got to see a saloon, a bank and a jail!! Good stuff and pics to boot! The museum was worth the 5 bucks, they had all kinds of skulls and pelts and firearms and history of the area. It really brings on all kinds of feelings about where we are to day and where we as Americans are going?? Soooooo bizarre. All the issues regarding out history, how things came about with an invasion and murder of many and then concentration camps, excuse me, Reservations... And how we are doing the same thing over seas now... But rather than trying to steal land it is oil. Nice.



I just don't know what to think. The US army's strategy to get the Native people out ND was to kill off all of the Buffalo so they would starve to death. I wonder if that is what they are trying to do over in IraQ?? Or here? Are they just trying to starve us of oil and ammenities or??? what?

Back to the trip - i found Wi Fi in the middle of the state- I forgot the name of the town. But I am about to get back on the road now and try to reach Montana by this evening. later.

1 comment:

Benjamin Skwirut said...

k, Lou. I'm on board. Bring on the updates!