Monday, July 21, 2008

Motherland Stomp Day 6 - Kalispell, Polson, Missoula, MT





I got back on the road and headed to a few more parks on the way down to Missoula. I stopped briefly at Kalispele, MT. It is an older park but is pretty fun. Not as gnarly as Whitefish so the tricks suddenly pop out. They do have a helmet law so I was in and out quick. I know I am gonna have to get used to the law when I get to Cali but I am not here yet... I should be wearing one anyway. dumbass



I jumped back on M-93 south and headed out through beautiful country. I went through two Indian Reservations and drove around the hills and mountains surrounding Flathead lake. The area is also amazing and the drive is never boring! Not the typical drive down to Kokomo or Springfield. Landscape!!

My next stop of the day was Polson, MT. Polson seems to be a little boating town just on the south end of Flathead lake. There was some kind of speed boat race going on and a festival. The Barney Fife was out there directing traffic and motorhomes were slamming on the breaks and jack knifeing it was cool!



When I arrived at the park the directions read "turn right on 7th street and look for the helmet". Well they were right, you can't miss the helmet! This is the famous Dreamland park with I think the only helmet oververt i the world?? Dudes were going so high in there I was amazed. These guys were talking about how they try to loop the lid. ???


The park is great though, very smooth pour and lots of speed lines. You can snake run into the flow area and carve around very easily. The deep bowl is killer and just begs you to go faster. I only had an hour or so at this park because I was on my way to Missoula to meet an old friend. But I did get lines pretty quickly and the locals were friendly. A bunch of bikers showed up and although these dudes were cool I just am not into taking risks around bikers. I don't think any of these guys would intentionally roll in on me but I am like 2000 miles from home now and have a long way to go so for now, I am still taking it easy and enjoying the ride.



I arrived in Missoula, MT around 7pm and met up with my old friend Brent and his wife. We used to play music together back in the day and I brought my guitar just in case we had a chance to jam. SO when I arrive, he directs me over to a house on Front street near the old downtown area. Out back was a jam session. It was pretty cool because I have not done this in probably 10 years. There were people coming and going all night, joining in and just pickin' It was fun but like I said, I have not done this stuff in a while and I am kinda into 80s punk now and don't really feel the whole jam scene. But like I said, a fun experience no doubt.


We ended up busking on the street that night, another interesting experience that I have not done in awhile. I was a little on edge though because my buddy got attacked and beat down by 4 jocks a few nights before. He ended up in the hospital with a blood clot in the brain. Not fun, dumb drunk jocks suck. It was a slow night so we didn't have any trouble and I was glad.

So I crashed on Brent's couch and all was well - thanks so much for putting me up!!! Skate in the morning!

No comments: