Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Mother Land Stomp - Day 1 - Lake Delton




Let the awesome radicalness begin! It took me a bit to get going yesterday. I just wanted to be sure that I did not forget anything. Calabro also stalled me a bit in the morning, saying that he was gonna go and I should pick him up. After about 10 phone calls I realized that I needed to get moving. He might meet me along the way. We may even do a quad trip in Montana. We'll see.

It is definitely a different experience being alone and on the road. I had to kick myself in the ass last night fighting insecure feelings and what not. It is good though, I am out of my comfort zone, I am doing something new and learning stuff. It is always good to test yourself like this once in a while. Like the first time I dropped in at Whiting or Scrap or my first day teaching at PSC (well, that was more like - I got a frickin' job!! whooopie!).


So, I stopped off at Panera in Matteson, IL to do a few things that turned into a bunch of things. Students missing this or that. It is always the same but not biggie. I am so used to the job and the whole thing now that I can even predict online student behavior. Very weird.

After yet another trip to Walmart I finally began to head towards WI. I left the South Burb area around 12:30pm and was in Lake Delton by 4pm. I was lucky to meet up with Surgeon Tom from Chicago!! He was also considering going to Oregon with me but had too much to do with moving and such. It was great to see people that I know on the first day. Training day.

I also ran into Derrick from Madison, I rode with him a few weeks back at the Dust Bowl. The raddest indoor DIY contraption this side of the Mississippi. Soon enough another dude I met the last time I was up rolled in, "Wild BILL" from Lake Delton. So things were good. Accept for the heat. It was sooooo friggin' hot that I thought I was gonna die. I kept tellin' myself to take it easy, on the first day. Tom was there a good 2 hours before I showed and kept chuggin' along!! Rad/

I really love that bowl up there. I hear a lot of people being not into the coping but I really dig it!! Like I said in a previous post, it is just like a mini Whiting, only you can really grind that shit!! I felt better there too so all went well.

I decided to set up camp and get things together for the night at Mirror Lake State Park. I stayed there with Dacia and Calabro a few weeks back but I don't remember it being so pricey! It cost me $27 to stay there for one night in a tent! I was shocked. $17 for the site and $10 for some temporary state sticker... RIP OFF! I may need to stay away from state park camping? I am gonna try KOA but I hear bad stuff about 'em.

I was so over heated that I had to drive around in my car with the air up and eat a fish sandwich at Culvers. I kinda felt like a looser so I didn't stick around there too long. I should have went swimming to cool off. It was hot in the tent too, but around midnight it cooled off and sleeping was easy then. So, Day 1 under wraps!! Hooray!! Get your ass out here Calabro!!

No comments: