Thursday, July 24, 2008

Motherland Stomp - Day 9 Mt Hood, Cops and Battleground




Man, I had a blast at Irrigon but nobody was there. I got a little bored of riding alone and decided to get back on the road. In about an hour I was in awe looking at the Columbus river and reading about it at rest stops and how the Oregon Trail ran right along it. Sometimes those folks from Missouri would have to cross it and often die. This river is fast and was really whitecapping. They have like 5 large dams now to control it and I can only imagine what it was like when it was wild.

Windsurfers and kite boarders are all over this river. Really cool stuff!! I arrived at the Mt. Hood park around 1pm or so. It is a pretty cool park located in a wooded area. Each section of the park is separated by hills, trees and paths leading to each bowl or ramp. There were people riding here and that was a first for the day!! I was a bit shy and spaced out at this point but I was gonna ride for sure here...



The lil' bowl is tight trannied with lots of flat, the bowl on the hill has a nice deep end with super tight clover leafs. I could barely carve at first!! This young kid from New Hampshire was ripping and then this older guy from CO. came in and totally ripped old school. Inverts, backside sweepers, backside laidbacks - the whole deal. I was finally getting going and finding lines in this tight hole and I hit a twig going down the waterfall and awgered it in real good. Slammed my knee and elbow and I was done after that...





To add more shit on the shit day, I got pulled over not soon after. I was in pain, I was spaced out, I hadn't had any food and was just trying to get to Portland. I was going down a steep grade and was trying to get out of the way from the Subaru's and I am the one that gets it... The cop didn't care that I had just driven for 8 days through 75 mph speed limits and all of the above. He was not impressed that I came to his state to skateboard and just wanted to know if I was a meth dealer... Treated me like shit, gave me shit about my insurance card. kept looking at my leg and the finally wrote me a $242 ticket. Thanks a lot bud, that was like my gas money for the next two weeks!!

I was so angry at this point, I have been eating PBandJs and 99cent bean burritos for 8 days to save money, sleeping in my car and whatever and now the trip is blown out even more!!! I was mad a Oregon, and myself and second guessing the whole trip... I just needed to get somewhere. I decided to try Burnside but I was so spaced that I could not find it... i got back on the road and headed to Vancouver, WA just outside the city. I drove around for an hour and did not find that park - I was so out of it at this point. I think the 8 days of all of everything was getting to me...





I decided to drive up to Battleground WA...

No comments: