Thursday, July 17, 2008

Mother Land Stomp - Day 2 Continued



I left out of Warrens around 12:30 and made the B-line to Minneapolis. It came up quick. After getting out of Warrens, i realized how much I like Wisconsin. Great landscape fo-sho.

I made it to Minnesota by 2pm or so and as the last post ended, spent way too long in Panera. Lots of emails flood through my school email the last week of school. But it all winds down this week and then suddenly no emails for a few weeks. I can't wait!! It all works though.


So off to 3rd Lair for some seshuwan. I got to the park and there were a ton of groms but they all had their own thing to do. The great thing about that park is that they have this killer micro and the groms stay there. They learn and then they do 540s in the bowl.. I need to ride that thing one of these days. But I headed straight for the keyhole which is rad. It was hot as hell in there though and I only lasted about 25 minutes in the big bowl.


It is a Plywood Benders park so I am familiar with the way they build ramps. I skated Krush way too much these last few years and it is also at PB park. The keyhole is fun but each time I have been there it was in the hot ass summer. I dropped in and had lines right away. I did not get too ambitious but did some of the usual. It is just fun to carve big wood transitions. I wish it had pool coping but beggars can't be choosers.

I think Calabro would love this park, he would probably be doing his frontside inverts in here asap. It is a very forgiving bowl and everything is straight forward. There is no wierdness about it. I am not a fan of the slick stickers at the lip but once again...

So this dude from Cali was there rippin the keyhole with his kids. Nice guy - I spaced on his name. We were both dripping buckets and decided to hit the other bowl. Did I say other bowl, yes, 3RD Lair has two of 'em. One indoors and one outside, out back. This one is very similar to the bowl at krush. I personally like this one a whole lot more. I think it is a bit more forgiving and not as slick. Others may complain and say that it has too much flat or it is old...


I have to say that I am more into rickety stuff.. the stranger the better! So I get back there and a full on OTC sesh is going on. Old Timers Club is a group of geriatrics from the Minneapolis area. I have skated with these guys a few times and always get good vibes from 'em. Cool dudes for sure.... I was very pleased to have smiling faces welcome me into their sesh!!

Some how, I got pretty lucky and remembered the bowl and lines. The transitions are just a little more forgiving and the coping feels really good. Maybe because it is an outdoor bowl and the coping is not as slick as other places are. You almost feel it when you hit the lip too which is a plus. So we traded stories, shared lines and oohed and awed with the trickery. I actually took some action shots this time. Man, I keep missing the good photo opps but I am trying here. Getting better...

I left Minneapolis around 6:30pm and headed for Fargo, ND. I was gonna try a campground just outside town but rain clouds were coming in and the sun had a ways to go. So I kept on driving and driving. That stubborn sun did not go down fully until after 9pm and it was still light out just before 10pm. Wierd, i guess it sets later up here... more to come.

No comments: