Friday, July 4, 2008

DPEDW - Bonsai!!


So it was time to get back on the road again. I was really getting bummed about hanging at the local park too much. I personally needed to skate different parks. So the last week has been different park every day week. I hit the micro in Frankfort, the mini in Peotone, Whiting Grindline gnar a few times, Northbrook and Glencoe. And then back to Wilson.

I had a great session with East Coast Mike and Mike E. at Whiting last Sunday. ECM did a 50/50 on the 9' side, impressive. Mike E. did the door. ECM took pics, I did not.

Above is a pic of Randy at Glencoe from an earlier session. We miss Randy at the park very much. Hope he heals and is able to skate!! This little mini has captured many of the old guy's hearts in its janky nostalgia for what he used to ride. However, my last experience with the ramp was questionable. I think it really needs to be re-surfaced. The skatelite is really dead now and I do not feel it has much speed?? The ramp is still fun though but the rest of the park is down right dangerous now. The lower transitions now sink below the sheetmetal and would probably take an ear or finger off if an unlucky person slid down one of the ramps. They seem to be doing major construction on the school so hopefully the park will get a face lift too!!

During an excursion to Northbook Dacia, MC and I went to the Botanical Gardens. It was actually a great change of pace. I think I skate too much? We were particularly impressed with the Japanese garden. Once you crossed the bridge, it was like transcending into another world. A world where all that matters is your thoughts and your breath. We also were able to see a bonsai tree exhibit which was really a treat. I kind of felt sorry for the little trees though. The were all wired up and tied in a silent torture for the benefit of the viewer??? It was cool though, some of the trees looked like mini forests and others were fully grown maple trees. All kinds of styles were on display.

No comments: