Monday, July 14, 2008

Road

This is what my car looks like. I always mention it. It is actually white but I am too lazy to take a pic now. I have to get new tires today, oil change and prepare. The other pic below is what I wish it looked like. But I just got off the rant about not needing things that I don't use everyday... Well, I could use some rims, right? NO!


Getting back to the road trip kick. I think part of being an American is seeing this great country of ours. I have not seen enough of it. Maybe that is what the Internet is for besides the usual... But more so, it is enjoying this so called freedom that they constantly use as the reason for killing people. Freedom to charge your cards up and buy shit you don't need to fuel the big machine and once again make money for the rich. Why not freedom to express yourself, to meet other Americans, to have great life experiences on the road. Why do I have to buy your crappy trendy shit? That is how the whole economy works here. It has been too long, we are all about to bust. I really want to begin to work via trade. I make art, I make T-shirts, I play guitar. So here it is, if anyone wants to trade for a T-shirt, a piece of art or guitar lessons let us barter!!!

I like to think of skateboarding as the last group of nomadic barbarians that constantly test the system for cracks. Hell, we use the grid as our pallette and create infinate lines and smash the grid. We break completely out of the confines of what a man or woman should do with his or her life. It is another way an artist can express what is inside or what is outside to react to. This is why I do this every day.

Better yet, the "man" gives us land and builds us a metropolis to destroy and create with. Very similar to the way the Romans had to continuously give away parcels of land to the Vandals, the Goths, the Visigoths, etc. I see the Northwest as the final frontier for skateboarding. Especially from a guy who lives in the Chicago area which is a place with a lot of love and heart for skateboarding but very mediocre parks and terrain. So to me, the Northwest is the motherland, the great font of concrete built by Michelangelo and Leonardo - Grindline and Dreamland. I have to get out there before some suit pulls the plug on the whole damn thing.

I need to go on the great concrete pilgrimage just as 12th century Europeans traveled from cathedral to cathedral to see the great architecture, holy relics and to worship. I must view the amazing sculpture that great skaters created for the purpose of the shred. The challenge of new terrain and the love of skateboarding. I am not a religious person, more spiritual but to see all of these parks in the Northwest will be a religious experience for me. But the American landscape will also be the thing to see. No matter where you are, skaters are skaters and my people will hopefully welcome me.

I will embark very soon.

No comments: