Sunday, July 27, 2008

Motherland Stomp Day 12 3/4-14 part 1



Wow, where to begin. After getting back from what was probably my funnest day of skating in Donald I got back to McMinnville. I tried that 7' hole again but I just couldn't make myself get over it.... Just running out of that thing is a near death experience. I've got some serious issues to work out. Maybe they will somehow get worked on this trip. If you throw enough obsticals at me I'll eventually go over them.


So I stopped into shred-mart for some more supplies - my PBJ diet required more bread and things. It is so odd getting back into an environment like that when all I have been doing is living in amazing national forests and killer skateparks... On the way up the mountain i began to stress again about the unknown. I kept thinking that someone was going to be on my campsite and what would I do, how would I handle that. What if my tent was gone?? Or??? I tried to chill and enjoy the ride in because you just don't get to drive on roads like this every day.


When I pulled in I was happy to see that my tent was still there. But, my worries were not unfounded, there were some people on my site. However, I had already pre-meditated the whole scenario and I decided that if it was friends of the jerks in the campsite next to my, I would go into a tirade because they were a bunch of bigots and I had to listen to their remarks the night before...

But I couldn't have asked for better people to share my site with. The couple i met were on a 300 mile bike trip from Portland to Astoria down the coast to the river area I was and back up. SO just seeing that there were bikes on my site made be think, wow - immediate respect. David is a painter and Suniti is a dancer. They were amazing to talk with, trade stories and learn about Portland!! We talked for a couple hours about art and skateboarding, our trips. It was really great to meet like minded people. That campsite was getting kinda crazy... They may be moving back to the midwest so hopefully we can welcome them back some day. Start skating again David and we'll shred 3rd Lair!!



I took another amazing hike around the area and got some pretty good pics. The place just has sooo much to explore. I barely even scratched the surface. I would be walking along the river for an hour, and get back on the road and be like 400ft from the campsite!! I had a great time relaxing and taking the natural wonder in. My nerves are still kinda shot. But I immediately feel better once I get into those pine forests. Just beautiful!!


I saw some more slugs today and got a better pic. These guys just hang out on the rocks all day. What a life!! The look like something gross at first but then you realize what it is and see the little anttenae or eyes or whatever go - cool!! So I got to do all of that and then crashed!! It wasn't as cold last night as it was the night before which is good. But you can't tell if it is raining because you hear the water running down the river all night. It is relaxing and soothing to know that it is there. At the same time, the flash flood signs are a little unsettling. The night before I heard a huge tree fall, it was the most powerful sound I have ever heard!!

I am getting the hang of this whole video thing. I wish I would have filmed more on this trip but I am learning as i go. I got a cool short of this little waterfall on my hike, enjoy:



I moved on this morning down river towards the coast. I had about a 45 minute drive through this BLM land and it was all great back roads, gravel, paved, bumpy, one lane bridges, etc. I am glad it was Sunday because I'll bet it is kinda freaky when the Logging trucks come blasting down the road!! David and Suniti mentioned some experiences they had with Loggers and Logging trucks!! whew!

My plan was to be cautious and find a campground right away. I got into Pacific City and headed north to where the map had indicated camping. There were a bunch or resort communities and beach front houses with all kinds of well-to-do families enjoying the weekend. When I arrived to the campsite it said - campsite full, road closed, private party blah blah blah - well everyone was packing up the tents and the Porsche Cayannes were pulling out of there. So I went to the park host to ask about camping tonight. When I gently approached him he just hollered at me. Can't you read!!! Get out of here!! I said, I was only inquiring about camping tonight - everyone is packed up and leaving... He said get out - don't come back until 3:00pm!!!! Well, that sucked - I really didn't appreciate his "kind" words. Crabby old man... So, I headed south toward Lincoln City.

No comments: