Thursday, May 28, 2009

Ohio - Powell






Cappetto and I cruised out to Columbus, Ohio for a few days of gnar. Things were getting draggy already in Chi. I am unfortunately very spoiled or just can't stay in one place too long. I get burned out after awhile and just need to go somewhere else.


SO Ohio was the first out of town destination for my summer break. Graduation was this past Saturday and we left like the following Monday. MC did not come of course, we originally were heading to Lake Delton but the weather up there was sketchy so Ohio was a much better bet.




We arrived in Powell by early afternoon (its about a 6-7 hour drive). The park was empty when we got there which was great and the temp was 80 and sunny. This dude showed up and was shredding the streetcourse. There was something different about his skating though, I realized he was sitting on his board. He was disabled and was still going for it, kinda like Oug. It was cool to see that go down, but then he started talking smack about doing demos and all this stuff. Well, maybe, sure.




I mostly rode the pool, as you know there is a Team Pain pool there with real pool transitions... 4' shallow with sometimes 3' of vert and 7' deep with 2' over vert, two death boxes, stairs and a love seat. Wow! super good. I rode this one other time so I was excited to get back at it and try to make it over the stairs. Now I know excuses are lame but I was riding injured with a knew that was already exploded and wrapped. So my range of motion was limited, I did manage to ride the pool Ok but all I could see was an ambulance in my future if actually did the stars and catipulted to the flat. So no, I did not go over them. I suck.. but I had fun and did what I could do at the time.

Maybe next time I'll be there with a bigger crew and get hyped enough to do them. Towards the end of the day, I had some good lines and was feeling it. The flat in the shallow is so vast that it is a speed killer. I can't wait to ride the pools out west. This one is a good warm up, the shallow is gnarly but the flat is a bit much.




We took a break around 5pm to get food and find a campground. We ended up driving for an hour, lost out there. They had roads closed and shit got a little off. But we eventually found a state park near the damb. It was a bit pricey, as state parks are but camping in the midwest is nearly impossible these days. I think that all those years of prosperity and people buying big ass RV's killed the campground. Everyone went to RV parks and most do not allow tents. They suck!!!

We went back for more and had a late sesh, My footy is at the very end of this when my legs were falling off but what can you do...




As we got some Taco Bell and headed back to camp day 1 of OH came to a close and I was damb glad my leg was still intact. I did end up smacking it on my board though which sucked big time! But Advil fixed that...

The funny thing was that late that night, John called out from his tent - "do you hear that?" We were hearing some varments out in the woods the whole night but now they/it was hanging out in our campsite. It was a PIG! Yep, you could hear the snorts and he was just walking around, snorting away. I sounded like he was eating gravel or something. Funny stuff!

No comments: