Friday, May 29, 2009

NYC day 5




I was pretty spoiled with the events of Wednesday. SO you can never expect greatness every day. But I was really really really hoping that it would not rain so I could ride that damn vert ramp at riverside park!! I could barely get to sleep last night thinking about it!! Like a little kid or something. More like a brat.



I headed out this morning with hopes to hit up the Guggenheim museum and the Neue Gallery. I got back on the M4 like yesterday and cruised up with my coffee. Once we got on Park Ave. there was a big traffic jam so I got off at like 101st street. Big mistake. The traffic eased up and the bus passed by. That was dumb. SO I had a nice walk not bad. Its good to get air and see the peeps.




It was so far so good with the weather, very cloudy but slightly threatening.

I got to the Neue Gallery and was sooooo happy to see that the had a special exhibit on the Brucke or Die Brucke - German Expressionism. There were works by Kirchner, Nolde, Heckel, Schmidt-Rottluff. There were prints, drawings and paintings. Kirchner's "Street Dresden" was there, as well. Such good stuff. Unfortunately there were not very many paintings by Nolde as the Nazi's destroyed many of them or horded them they may come up on auction someday..





As I exited the Neue I was invigorated. It felt like I was getting back to my old self. It all works and is best to be immersed in many things than only one thing. So ping, pang it was kinda dry out on the street and I immediately switched over to obsessed skateboarder. I walked up about 15 blocks to the M4 stop and headed towards my car.



I was in such a rush to get to Riverside park! The mist was ever looming so I could not waste any time. I had to talk the park monitor to let me ride the ramp. They had everything locked up still. So I swept off the ramp and dried the puddles up and got myself ready to ride.

I was so surprised the first time I dropped in, I ended up about 2 feet over the coping and did the panic run out. This ramp is deceaving, it looks super slow and bumpy but the ramp is smooth and fast. It is a metal surface that has been painted over 100 times. So it has a strange texture to the surface. I got some runs in and was feeling pretty good and ready to start trying stuff when the mist came in. I politely waited for it to end and dry up and took some more runs. I skated for about an hour but it started to mist again.

I waited for what I thought was enough time but not. I dropped in and slid across the flat, up the other side and slammed back into the flat. Not fun. So my wrist was tweaked and a slight swellbow. I guess I should have walked down and felt the flat. I checked it from up top but you just never can be too careful. So after that it was time to go, the rain came in and I walked back a little defeated.

I was just kind of mad at myself for being so dumb trying to ride painted metal a vert ramp in the rain. I learned my lesson.

It was all good though because my sister made a kick ass dinner. She made steak fajitas with home made guacomole. It was sooooooooooooooo good! My brother brought over the True Blood series and we watched episodes 3-5 and I stayed up to 2am watching up to episode 9!! I was gonna just finish it all but I had stuff to do the next day.

No comments: