Thursday, May 28, 2009

NYC day 4



So it is Wednesday and after yesterday, I really needed to get out. So I did. I had the best day here yet. I got up at a mega-good time, like 9:00am or something and slept really good. The couch here is better than my bed at home.






I got to see lil' Ethan in the morning and we walked up to the bus. I got some coffee and waited for the M4 to the Met.





I arrived near the Met around 10:30 and walked down to the Frick Museum. This is a great collection of art that the Frick Family had hoarded for many years. The family home/mansion is now the museum.




It is hard to believe that this place was someone's house. They have some serious stuff. My faves are a Van Eyck "Madonna and Child", an El Greco, Ingres, and some rad Whistlers. there are all kinds of other stuff like the Rococo room that Madame du Berry commisioned Fragonard to do, everything but "The Swing" is there. Not that I am a big fan of the Rococo period but I like the pervy-ness of that series.










I also spent hours in the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It is one of my faves in the US and houses a wonderful collection. This is the museum with an entire Egyptian tomb in it... I was so glad to get back into going to museums and galleries again. I really kinda lost the flair for it. I guess after deciding to close my gallery, I needed a break. I teach art history and when you do that for a living it does get to be a bit beyond. But now that summer is here I can enjoy it for myself.






I found all kinds of cool evil stuff. Luca Signoreli is one of my faves for evil imagery. This demon came from a composition by him regarding the last judgement. As well as the detail of a Van Eyck workshop "Last Judgement" wing.




My feet were feeling like they were about to fall off and my light headedness had kicked in. My brain was swarming with images and I could barely walk straight so I knew it was time to go. I saw some hipsters eating a chili dog as I walked in so I was hoping to get one on the way out. All they had left were the regular hot dogs so I snapped one up and ate it on the steps. It was already a good day.





And better yet, there was a 60% chance of rain but by 3pm the sun was shining so I knew where the next stop was - Brooklyn Banks.


1 comment:

Owen said...

U kind of look like Robert smith in that last photo here :)