Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Motherland Stomp Day 21 - Santa Cruz continued



I must say that the Santa Cruz skatepark is killer!! SO is the town!


After I rode the park for hours I drove around town a bit and tried to take in the killer surf town that it is. I drove by the boardwalk and checked out the beach. I actually found the Santa Cruz skate shop which was really rad.

The first thing I saw when I walked in was an original Bill Danforth Alva complete hangin' on the wall. I guess they know whats up!! I was stoked for Bill, and had to geek out and call him. It must be pretty rad to have shit like that happen all over. I am just glad they showed respect for the Nomad. He is a killer skater and a great guy who has done a lot for skateboarding. Especially the Midwest! There are a lot of skaters out there (pros and ams) who owe Bill big time.


So I did get some footy today. I didn’t take too much because I did not want to tick anyone off, you just never know. I hate getting in peoples shit and try to just keep it low… But these guys were all cool and didn’t seem to mind…





I headed towards Marina, CA because SC Rich had told me about the pool there. When I had arrived, I could not find the park and it was almost 3pm. I got a call from Wendy that if I wanted to get to LA I needed to leave right then, otherwise It would be really late. So, I decided to do the right thing and head out for LA.



It was a long drive but a good one and I arrived here around 9pm. I unfortunately had to get a hotel and will be here for at least 4 nights. So, it is gonna cost some $$$ but it is totally worth it. I just wish they had camping like up in Montana or Oregon. I have to say, I really miss my tent and the freedom of camping.



Getting into this populated area kinda sucks! It is rad being in Cali and all but this is a mega people land and everywhere you look there are super sized homes, stupid malls, ass hole drivers and too much consumerism. I guess it is all good, we have to live somewhere right? It is nice to be in "civilization" but this is just not my kind of world. I am still figuring my world out I guess. Whitefish is all played out now with the chain stores and the resort hotels, even Santa Cruz is super crowded. Maybe it is a sign of over population or just too much of everything? I guess with all of the people flocking here from the midwest - well whatever.



Seeing this oil field on the way was a reminder of our strange times and even my evilness for using so much fuel to do this trip... At least there are still wonderful places in Cali and they have done a good job of preserving some of the landscape. Seeing big valleys fill up in Montana like they did here long ago is kind of sad.



Like I said in a previous post, I would love to move to MT but maybe it is better to visit so that I am not one more consumer taking away the beautiful landscape? Maybe it is Ok to stay in Chicago, make a living and travel all summer? I wish and hope I can do at least a fraction of this trip again. I am sure I will... If I plan right, it could be summer and winter. Maybe a Sprinter is the way to go!! More on that later...

No comments: