Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Motherland Stomp Day 30 - Carbondale and Boulder (No Pics yet)


We got in so late last night that Calabro and I pulled the sleeping bags out of the car, went around to Dave's back yard and just slept there. It didn't matter, we were supposed to get a great campsite up on a mountain but Dave's backyard did just fine. I was so tired and out of it that I could have slept on the sidewalk. I was supposed to sleep under a bridge for Danforth but that level of despiration has not occurred. yet!


I was awakened this morning by the bright sun, my cold feet, the dew on my hair and Dave's cat! He has a pet door attached to his super cozy Carbondale house! It is so fun to go into a nice cozy house after you have been sleeping in the dirt for days. He even had coffee for us this morning!! WoW! What a great guy! Dave is a big time photographer for climbing magazines, Rock and Ice, Trail Running, Outside... He also shoots for National Geographic so as you might have guessed, he is a big timer.

Calabro got caught up with Dave while the twins got fed and changed. He has newborn twins. Scary -= kids -= yikes!! I couldn't help but think about my sister and brother in law and baby to be. Very soon!! I am excited for them!


We went out to get some breakfast burritos at a really cool coffee shop. Dave pushed the twins as we walked on down through the mountain town. Very nice! While we waited, all of these famous mountain bikers, climbers, jumpers, photographers, etc were coming in and out. Kind of a who's who of that world. There are several outdoor companies and magazines that are based out of Carbondale. It is a different world for me but I am catching on to a bit of it.

My thing was to hit the big Grindline park!! My pics are terrible so I will link a few here:

pick 1

pic 2

So as you can see, the park is rad!! I have certain preferances and was not fully into this one. As I have remarked in the past that I like round walled - pool like bowls with pool/concrete coping. This one snakes a lot and has some tight pool like corners but it is mostly flat walled with all metal coping. The over vert and capsule are really fun though and Calabro shredded it!



There was a family of razor scooters there with a kind of blonde outdoor active mom roller blading around. I was a bit leary of getting a scooter dropped on me and so I kinda finished there a bit early. Calabro had some erands to run in town and talk with some industry people.




So we packed up, as an extra treat, one of the scooter kids was riding along and all of a sudden his brother just runs up and pushes him off of it! The kid goes straight to his knees but it was so comical that we had to laugh. The mom goes up and says, hey that was not nice... And the victim waited to cry until mom came by.. So after mom is yelling at the attack kid the victim kid walks up and punches the attacker in the face! It was sooooo funny and sad at the same time. I guess they didn't get McDonalds and Ice Cream for lunch|!|!



We left town around 3pm after Calabro got some bid-ness taken care of and we pointed the fit toward Denver. This was a long drive again but also amazing|! Colorado is so beautiful. But alas, the ski towns make it too expensive for my ilk. We went through veil and avoided Aspen - not my scene.



We had a couple more destination skateparks to hit but by the time we were in the Denver area it was time to get a place to stay. Luckily another friend lives here and we were able to score another night but this time indoors!! We did however hit up the Boulder skatepark. It is an older park and once again, mellow transitions, metal coping, bad design - not my kind of park.

Boulder skatepark

Like I said, I don't want to sound like a hater. I have been to nearly 60 skateparks on this trip and I guess when you go to see the greatest parks in the world, the good ones seem bad? Maybe I was just road weary at this point also. I drove for 9 hours that day... Who knows, the locals shred it. I think Calabro was a bit dissapointed in my crabbyness about the park. It looks RAD from the pics but when you see the concrete finish, the super mellow transitions, the metal coping, then...



I just wish my camera and laptop were working. I appologize for the bad pics. Calabro took the camera appart but it just keeps getting worse. I'll probably have to get another new one. I just bought this pea-shooter in June. I may need to look into getting some kind of rugged slip over case or a heavy duty one?

No comments: