Saturday, August 2, 2008

Motherland Stomp Day 18 - Cali - Weed/Sacramento



Well, I made it through the Motherland of Skateparks and now I am entering the Motherland of Skateboarding!! I did a lot of driving today, more than I have since Idaho! I left the Klamath area around 8am, got fuel at this cool two pump gas station in Keno, OR. Keno is a tiny town with a motocross track, lots of hunting and the Klamath River nearby (where I stayed).


The area is pretty though and the people seemed very laid back. I got on 97 and headed south. I was in California in less than an hour (gosh was I close)! Upon entering this state, all of my childhood dreams of driving to Cali were finally realized. I've been to LA a few times but always by plane. There is nothing like driving for days and entering the Golden State! Some dread it, while others relish in the thought of road tripping across the country. I love it!!




My first stop was Weed, CA about 2 hours from Klamath Falls, OR. Weed is a tiny town with a tiny Grindline skatepark. I was expecting a bit of some gnar but the park is really mellow. There is a very cool streetcourse/snakerun with jersey barriers, wall rides, etc. The bowl is very wide open with tight transitions and a lot of flat. I spent about an hour here just cruising. I was a bit bummed about the helmet/pad law but nobody was there so I disobeyed... I am gonna have to get used to it soon though.



I moved on by 11am and was trying to make it to Sacramento by 2. The drive was great, wonderful landscape with mountains and 5% grades and all that good stuff but all of a sudden, everything went flat. And it got hot! So, this was a big difference already but then the hills started to roll and the landscape got great again. Go figure! So far, Norther Cali is very beautiful. I really wanted to go to Yosemitie or the Redwood forest but my time here is a bit limited so I have to stay focused. I am sure I will be back here someday -


I skated here for hours, I think I actually was getting heatstroke. The burrito started to bark and I got all dizzy and man was I heading for air conditioning!!

So I arrived at the Sacramento Skatepark with 99cent burrito in hand. Looking out at the park I just stood there in awe. This place is big and they are gonna keep getting bigger! There is a street plaza, something like 8 bowls and a flow/street course. The place is insane! The bowls range from 4' - 12 or 13'. Just madness, i was dizzy from popping in and out of so many shapes. The pour is super smooth there and you just cruise around from feature to feature. There are like 7 skateparks packed into one here so it is really overwhelming.










1 comment:

Owen said...

Thats makeing me drool! Wish I was there with you buddy