Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Motherland Stomp Day 22 - The Combi



For years now, I have dreamt of one day riding the Combi at Vans at the Block. I was there like 5 years ago but did not skate it. I was visiting Wendy and not skating enough at that time. But ever since then, I was renewed and reborn in an afterlife of skateboarding. Somehow seeing that thing just jolted the blood in my veins. I have tried to get out here during winter and summer break as I have said for a long time. I even prepared myself mentally. I rode vert ramps to try to get proficient enough to ride that thing.


I have watched footage of the Pro-Tec Pool party (as many of us have) from 05-08 over and over and over. I even have it in my I-pod and sometimes watch it on the way home from skating or while I am waiting for people. Even at dinner - - - obsession.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QkTyFCMOX8



SO, to finally go to this skate park was a major milestone in my travels. I have drooled over this bowl, had nightmares and day dreams about riding it. I have had anxiety over skating it. Would I survive? Would I totally suck ass? Would I wimp out and give it up forever? Would I drop in and sess slide all the way to the other wall and never make it out again??? Would I magically roll in and blast a 6 foot air? no - but
it is -

SO FREAKIN' RAD!!!!!

I rode the Combi today. I rode it and liked it! To tell you the truth, after riding the skull bowl at San Jose and the egg at Sacramento, the Combi did not look all that scary. I can safely say that the Combi is the raddest thing that I have ever skated! It is big, it is fast, it WILL hurt you if you do not respect it. Even then, it will HURT you anyway! It is slick, deep and the coping is big (but very well lacquered).

Danforth has told me so many stories about the original Combi in Upland and how gnar it was - mega coping, 4' of vert, wavy concrete - well the combi I rode today is not that gnar but it is as rad as it gets!!



SO, I got there at 11:30 - the sesh didn't begin until noon. I got some food quickly, paid my $12 and entered the lair of the Giant. I was sad to see the recently built mini and the missing vert ramp. I just walked straight through the street course. I thought they had a smaller black bowl before? not sure if that is gone too? I did not see it? But all I wanted was that round and square Goliath in the rear of the place.

One old dude was shralping when I got there but as soon as I got my stuff on, he was out. He mumbled something to me like "good luck - -f - f" I didn't quite catch it then but understood not too long after. I took my time, dropped in did the light footed thing 'cause I was afraid I was going to slide and die. But it really was not that slick. Modern in Grand Rapids is way worse. Maybe somebody mopped it.


The transitions felt really good and the double water fall is fun. You just have to be a little light footed and you really don't slide that much. After about 5 runs I was getting tile and figuring out how to power pump the tight corners of the square bowl and the little crows nest/roll in area. I was so stoked to finally get the opportunity to ride this thing.



I was loose, I was feeling pretty good about it all and ready to start trying stuff when suddenly I realized what that dude said as he walked out. GROMS!!! The grom patrol suddenly emerged and bombarded the combi. There must have been 15 kids in there rolling around, butt sliding, laying in the crows nest... I was so disgusted. I tried to go to the mini (i hate mini ramps) and got snaked left and right by fruit booters and kids. SO I went back to the combi and the groms were gone. Cool!



So I rode some more and was getting into it, a few teenage rippers were riding it and then boom! Grom patrol. The young dudes and I then told them nicely to get out, take turns blah blah blah. We rode a bit more, the young rippers left and boom. I got swarmed again. I finally got a little pissy with them - asking them to take turns, give me a chance to take a run... they basically said fuck off - so then I told them "if you can't drop in then get out".



Then some kid told the manager that we said they couldn't skate it... (there is a sign that says experienced riders..) the manager came out and told the kids that they could do one person in each bowl. What the hell is that? Are you just encouraging them to crash into one another?? I mean really. I realize they have to make money and all, but the vert ramp is gone, the other bowl is gone the groms have plenty of stuff to ride. The Combi is very dangerous and they should have some kind of rope around the thing or as some places have a qualifier to enter the vert ramp... For such a big deal the Vans skatepark at the block is - they really have zero supervision there. The little darlings were even attempting kickflips on the edge of the square bowl.



So, after he said "I'll kick them (me) out if they tell you (grom) not to skate" he left and did nothing about this grom attack. I got one more run and as I as getting tile in the tight corner of the square this kid dropped his board in on me.. I luckily got around it but after that bit of awesomeness I was done.

After dreaming about riding this bowl for 5 years - it is finally spoiled over some kid that can't even count to ten yet. As the proud parents look on from the spectator area.

I realize that kids are supposed to be at skateparks. It is a good thing that they are interested in riding bowls. But as many message board conversations attempt to solve the grom problem - it exists everywhere if not properly supervised. The combi needs to be supervised - enough said.

I can remember this dumb ass trying to gap into the vert ramp while we were riding it at Modern in Grand Rapids, MI. The kid almost killed my other buddy Capt Phil because he was coming down the wall as the dumb ass ollied into the ramp... (after we told him repeatedly to stop doing it) Calabro finally threw his board and hit the kid kinda by accident but not smartest thing to do. Of course the proud parent looking on and seeing no foul by the golden child, threatened us and said that it was attempted murder, blah blah blah, well what about Capt' Phil?? Why don't you teach your kid to be aware of his surroundings, LOOK out for people. There are consequences in life when you are stupid.

Anyway - i am not giving up. I am not gonna throw my board at any kid. I am just gonna try again. If it happens again, I'll leave again. I'll try to ride the Combi tomorrow night, maybe there will be a few old dudes there so I can get some more runs in. I am not expecting much from my skating. I just want a good session and to leave there feeling good, rather than leaving totally dissatisfied.



So after that debacle, I decided to head over to the Etnies park in Lake Forest. I have been wanting to hit the skull bowl for a long time. Luckily this park is free but you have to wear all the pads. I must say, this park is clean - no graffiti, no garbage, all of the bowls were swept out. This park was in better shape than sac and San Jose. Someone is doing a good job here and the groms were all over but zero problems. Everyone took his turn and stayed out of one another's way. I applaud the management of this park.



I dropped into this one and had lines instantly. The coping sticks out a bit but grinds real nice. I am not totally into the long channel but I guess you have to make it a skull bowl somehow.



I skated this bowl for hours with this cool guy from Huntington Beach. I want to say his name was Rob? Damn, sorry, I didn't write it down and that is a mistake for me. But anyway the dude was genuine and a surfer too!! So RAD, everybody out here surfs! Good stuff! There are some good people in the world and after the Vans "fun" I was glad to hang with a like minded person.



So, we seshed the skull bowl and dealt with the heat. The sun was pretty damn hot and I don't do well with elbow pads anyway and in the heat it just gets unbearable . I know that it is important to wear your safety equipment in Cali or anyplace but I get all stiff and pissed - I finally took em off and got some sweepers in, a few little airs and things so it was fun. I just wasn't pushing it again but I am still walking and Culver City, Santa Monica and maybe Gendale, await for me tomorrow...

Oh, and once again, I will go back to the combi



The night ended well, I got to go to dinner with Wendy and her Aunt Saatchi. Goo Goo (Saatchi) bought us a killer seafood dinner - big ass prawns and crazy ocean fish - delicious!! Wendy is doing well but I realize now that I got here too late. She is moving back to Taiwan. I guess the path has many curves. We all change but who knows what the future holds, one more thing to ponder on the drive home.

No comments: