Thursday, August 7, 2008

Motherland Stomp Day 24 - back to the COmbI then to the Beach

Hey all, up for this one again. SO my laptop is officially dead to the world. I may have to do a hard drive rescue at the very least when I get back. Wendy has loaned me her laptop for the next two days so I will be able to keep up the blog. After that, I will have to somehow wrangle Calabro's laptop from him. This will be difficult!! I went out with Wendy for frozen yogurt last night. They sure do know how to do it out here Yogurt style! We went to this self serve place where you pick your flavors and how much and dump all the toppings you want! It is 30 cents per OZ? I forgot, it was about 3.50 for a good sized yogurt sunday. Delicious!! I got back to my new room and crashed out. I must have slept for 10 hours!! I needed it I guess and felt a bit better today. My plan was to get to Vans for the 10am session and try to ride the combi again. I got up a bit late (9:30) so I did not get to vans until after 10. When I got to the block I couldn't help but notice lots of little skaters hanging out and sitting around. Bad sign. When I walked into the shop, they were having skate camp. I talked to the guy at the counter for a bit and he said they teach them skate etiquite. Well, I sure hope so. After the Tuesday I just don't know what to think. SO, I went out to the car a bit dissapointed. I milled around for a while and decided that I really wasn't into the skull bowl at etnies and that was my only choice at this point. SO I went to find wi-fi. I may as well hang around and wait for the noon session. I updated my blog and chilled for a bit. I must say that my brain was a bit rattled again. But I figured that I have to do this, it would be my last chance for this trip. I did the wi-fi thing, cooled down a bit and noon rolled by quickly. As I re-entered the park, I noticed all the groms around. There were a few adult age skaters goin in so I thought that maybe it would work??? I got in there and no one was at the combi. I thought, yes! This is my chance.. As soon as I got my pads and helmet on, the minute I grabbed my board. The Grom Patrol came rushing in. It is like they have radar - look at the fat old guy, lets go bomb the combi so he can't skate!! haha I took a few runs and tried to take it easy. I let them skate for like 20 minutes at a time. Grom patrol:
I would get my 30 second run and then go sit and watch roll around and buttslide. I got a little footy of it for good measure. I then politely bowed out of the combi and told myself, I would be back with a group next time. My next move was for the beach. I hit up Huntington Beach first. I found a nice meter and skated up the walk to check the place out. This is a big mega beach and there is surfing along the pier! I got so good footy. It is cool, because you can just look from above at the surf action. Great spectator area!! Footy:
I then moved on down CA1 and drove around the Newport Beach area, very populated beach town. Lots of 1.8 million dollar beach houses all over. I was drooling - never for this guy. Oh well. Then I headed down to Laguna beach. These areas are very populated and although they are really cool and wonderful places, I miss the beaches in Oregon. They are very quiet and you can feel more in touch with nature. I checked out a few galleries and went to the great Taco Loco for fish tacos. I had a very memorable trip here 5 years ago. It was very nice to come back but reminded me of things of the past. So it was kinda wierd. I went down to the beach which was very busy so I left, walked up to the more quiet area and enjoyed the ocean for a while. I came up to the skim/surf area and got some footy of these killer skim boarders. Damn, now I know what Gordon was saying about actually catching a wave. These people were serious - doing carves, 540s getting air??

Footy:




wow SO the trip to the beach was cool but I must say that I am tired of the traffic and the drivers here. They will run you into the wall, cut you off, rear end you and this is on the side streets. Once you get on the highway it is go time. Once I got back into town I went out with Wendy and her Aunt for some Taiwanese food. I did a little skate camp with her young cousins and neighborhood kids. It was a busy day, no wonder I am dog tired.

No comments: