Monday, June 9, 2008

So we had some interesting weather on Saturday. I was up at Wilson finally getting smiths and then the weather just turned. I was done anyway and decided to head to Peotone to work on more T-shirts. I stopped in Matteson, IL to pick up some paint. It was raining really hard but that stuff really does not bother me if I am not planning to skate... I went in and they wouldn't let me leave the store! There were reports of several funnel cloud sightings and the storm was headed directly for the area where I was! I was like, cool!! So I stayed in the store for a while but it was still just raining, so I knew that it was not that close.

I eventually left the store, went out side and was like, oh, it isn't raining anymore. Cool. I went to the car, put on 780am and they were reporting that the storm was currently hitting Monee and Richton Park, IL. I was about 1 mile from the tornado... So I looked up (of course) and the storm was just east of where I was standing... Big huge clouds and smaller clouds that were circulating slowly... I waited for it to pass and then began to follow slowly. I know this was really dumb but it was far enough away that there was no real threat. (Like I actually knew that) (probably a very dumb thing to do).

So I followed the storm out to Hammond, IN. It was kinda scarey, but a big rush. Half of me wanted to see the big funnel cloud, the other half was thinking, people might need help... It ended up touching down a few more times in Lansing, Hammond and out past Whiting and then died at the Lake...

The top left pic is the storm from Lansing, Il. The others are the power lines that were knocked down in Monee, IL. It caused I-57 to be shut down for two days and killed the power in the area. That is not so fun.

No comments: