Monday, April 6, 2009

My New Ride



I have been surfing the lake for two seasons now. Oh, um, yes we surf Lake Michigan out here!! (for those from the West or East Coast) But I never had my own board so I never really get to go as often as I would have liked. So last year I decided that I was going to set some cash aside and just wait for the opportunity.

I had considered buying a new one but you would have to pay for shipping plus the "new" board price which is really not worth it (for a beginner) considering how much you actually end up using the thing. But at this point I was ready to just bite the bullet and order one up. MC got his last fall and it was nice. Something like an 8' 2" fish shape with cool color ways and all of that. But UPS dinged up the surface of the board before he even got out to ride it. So shipping a surfboard kinda sucks.



So after looking around for a few months and precipitating the arrival of this board I finally found one on Craigslist. The odds of finding a used surfboard in Chicago are pretty slim. But I got a good deal none the less. It is a South Coast CR3 9' longboard. It has a three fin set up with good fins and I even got a wet suit and gloves with the deal!! The leash came with it too, every little bit helps.

It feels good to be ready to go when ever that North East wind blows up. I ordered a soft roof rack and will probably get some booties and a hood for the cold days. But now I can just go whenever. It is great because even if the waves are not building, I can always skimboard or hit the Whiting skatepark. Which I will be riding a whole lot this season.

No comments: