Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Logan Square Skatepark





The rest of the weekend it rained and never stopped. I skated the Possum with John on Saturday and Sunday. I tried to sneak a sesh in at Wilson on Sunday afternoon because the weather called for a break. But as soon as I arrived the clouds rolled in and rain came.

I called MC and we decided to check out the Logan Square Skatepark. I was highly against doing this but since I had just driven an hour to get rained out I decided that I might as well be open to more punishment.

I must say that I am surprised how bad it really is. Now don't get me wrong, this is a great park for inner city kids that like to skate street and don't know any better. They have never been to a "good" skatepark and to many, it is a success. But this thing is such a lump of shit people. The city paid $300,000 for modular ramps that are made of plastic and metal. The surface is the same as a Freshpark ramp if you have ever seen one of those folding ramps. And they are about as sturdy.

The coping does not match up, the area where the ramp meets the concrete is a super Chu-Chunk and the park is laid out in a way that will cause you to collide with others. There were a ton of kids there and bikers that were swerving in everybodys way, no park etiquite nothing like what it could have been. I was done before I even entered the place.

But it is a good place for the kids to go and kickflip and switch nollie krook on the rails and get all up in somebodies face... Grafitti is everywhere, the place is already a pit and I am glad I did not sit on the board of that park for 4 years... I'll build my own pool and be very happy thank you very much.

No comments: