Monday, January 19, 2009

Grand Rapids Saturday



So we decided to head out to Grand Rapids on Saturday. I was really trying this year to set down some new guidelines to follow regarding winter skatetrips. One of those was to go to grand rapids for two days. It is a heck of a long drive to go and skate for 2-3 hours and drive nearly 8 hours round trip… But it seems that the long famed over nighters are not happening this year..

But I went and had fun and that is all that matters. I was getting pretty grouchy again last week but the cold snap adjusted my attitude. When mother nature stacks up the cards there are some things you can do to get a sesh in but when she decides to make it 40 below out then you have to listen and shut up.

So after a week of skating in far away places (the only cities with descent indoor and well heated skateparks) or indoor spots that I am not too stoked about. I am proud to say that I am thinking in a positive way again. Winter is half over (maybe) and I have 6-8 weeks or more to work on shit before the amazing season of outoor skating begins. It is 25 degrees (which is cold) out and I am loving it. That is much better than 25 below!


Once we got on 196 the roads were terrible. I don't know what the problem is out there in Michigan, maybe it just snows so much with the lake effect or maybe they just can't keep up... But it was bad. They even close rest stops in the winter. But we made it to the park and had a fun time.

We got there around 3 GR time and skated a session, took a break and then hit it up until 9pm... So we got our time in. It was the usual where Mike, Pat and Cheryl would alternate between the bowl and the vert ramp. My goal on this day was to stay off of the vert ramp and spend my time in the bowl. I just don't get to skate bowls enough in the winter, especially concrete. The only problem is it usually takes me until the end of the day to get to where I should be... But this time I just kept the focus and got my lines back. SO I spent the day trying new things and trying to "man-up" in the deep.



Owen was shredding as always, (even though his worst day is far from my best). The big bet was to get him to learn frontside inverts. It was a little tap towards Calabro who had a photo gig but managed to do his shit talk via text message. So that was the entertainment there. Owen was also doing them on the 12' vert which makes it even more interesting.

Pat got things going right away and did a 50/50 in the deep of the bowl. We were all stoked for him. And then "Pat's brother" showed up! I always forget his name so we call him that because the two must be kin. Just look at the photos and they speak for themselves. "Pat's Brother" is a good guy and always has a few stories to tell. He rode the bowl with us and then got brave on the vert ramp.



The day ended with a micro sesh - I of all people was skating with about five 12 year olds on the micro and Cheryl was riding the spine with Pat. Cheryl landed rock to fakies and spine transfers. We were all stoked for her!! It was a great day, we all left with good thoughts and knowledge.




The trip home was also interesting. It was close to blizzard status with terrible road conditions, low visiblitiy, and lots of yokles blasting through the snow and then landing in the ditch. But we made it home, I pointed the fit towards Chicago at a slow pace but all that matters is that we got back and I found parking!!

1 comment:

Owen said...

We going again this weekend?