Sunday, August 9, 2009

Northwest Day 27 the road back to Chicago

Lots and lots of driving. We almost made it through Nebraska but lots of road construction delayed things by a few hours. So, we crashed somewhere in that state. Got up in the morning and drove all day. It was pretty uneventful accept for getting through the dread state. Iowa was kind of chipper this time. I really wanted to stop in and see my old buddy Pat and Yayoi in Cedar Falls, IA but it is like an hour and a half off of I-80. I will need to get up there soon.



There was a great detour getting into Illinois, the big bridge was closed so we went over an 80+ year old bridge instead. I was just thinking, well great detour. The first thing we saw when entering Illinois were several police cars. Radar city and harassment time. What a welcome. Luckily, I forced myself to obey the speed limit nearly the entire trip. I did not need another $300 ticket like last time. But I rubbed my car on some lady's car in Seattle so that makes up for that... Have to get the estimates in. My deductible is kinda high so then, so much for saving..

Illinois is worse than Nebraska though, especially those last 3 hours to Chicago after a 30+ hour trip. But it was kinda nice getting to the outskirts of Joliet. I went to Northern Illinois University for my MFA and lots of memories pop up once you pass 126 and long before then I went to Joliet Junior College so all of those memories begin to pop once I pass Morris and Senica and then Joliet. All of my old friends and foes from 20 years ago. Even memories of skating in Joliet. Wow.




The only interesting thing that occured these last two days was a UFO cloud that was emerging from the trees.



It originally looked more like a mushroom cloud. So naturally we thought Chicago had been nuked. But then it sprouted wings and began to rise. It gave us some entertainment anyway.



I dropped Cappetto off around 5pm and headed on out. I had to snap a pick of all of the stuff on his lawn. Man, the Fit was packed with stuff. Mostly bags of Vans product we picked up on a few shopping sprees at the outlet stores. That may be #5 on the list of things I am going to miss!

No comments: