Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day weekend

Back again with no pics. UGHHHHHHH! I am about to write a big check to pay for part of the laptop. Hopefully a camera will come soon after. Set me back a bit. SO I did go skate all weekend so far (it is Monday morning). I hit up Wilson on Friday night and had a good short sesh and then went to Eric's for Man Night!! It is not what you think. It is a time to eat Pizza and watch low brow movies and lay on the couch and be slobs.

I was pretty ticked off starting the weekend though. They be messin' with my schedule at work again. I will be the first to admit that I have a killer schedule but that is about it. I am the dept. whipping boy when it comes to the classes I teach and have no say over anything. So when they take away the only positive, what is left???

SO, that lingered over most of the weekend and was a session killer. I was irate until about 9pm on Saturday evening. We had a sesh at Wilson in the morning but I was really not into it so I found some air conditioning at Calabro's and we watched Zohan!!

By 7pm we finally talked Mike O into going to the barn ramp jam down in manteno. We arrived around 8:30 or so and it was a great ol' time!! The two Mikes were immediately ripping and the sesh was epic. I took 1 run for every 10 but was having fun. I was more into just living my dream in this rad place. It is an organic farm and the ramp is in one of the machine sheds. sooooo good!!

We crashed out around 2-3am, I didn't get to sleep until like 4:30 and then the sun came up and heated the tent up to like 100. SO I packed up and sat in the car for a while. I sent a wake the F up text to Calabro and we scavenged around the wreckage for food. There were tents, coolers, zombie like people everywhere!! It was a great time!!

Then Calabro decided to collect a handful of grasshoppers and dumped them in Owen's tent. He was pissed!!! I took no part in it but I have to admit, the look on his face was pretty funny!!! Calabro's quote: "he screamed like a little school girl"

Dacia went to the Kankakee state park and the rest of us went to Grand Haven, MI for more shred. The drive was long and by the time we got there, I was done for. I had 2 hrs sleep and drove 4 hrs straight. MC came with graciously even though he hurt himself during the ramp jam. We were all riding an original Vision Psycho Stick and MC slammed pretty hard while attempting frontside inverts with it.

It was a long drive in and Owen kept making us miss breakfast to make time. We eventually had to stop and the Cracker Barrel was busy as hell. The car ride is always fun when you get MC and Mike Owen going back and forth talking shit. When you enter Pat and/or Cappetto into the equation all hell breaks loose. So even if the session is not good, we still have fun!!

After 3 runs I think Owen realized he was done too. Grand Haven is a great park but I wish it had pool coping. The highlight of the day was the local old dudes that showed up to hang and skate. We had a good time hanging out and trading stories.

SO we skated on and off for about 3 hours. MC set up a tarp for shade and a blanket. He spent the entire day laying around yelling at kids, talking mad shit to anyone who came near him and egged on the local crazy dude. He even tried to take him home with us. Everyone needs a meth addict that can do inverts in a 10' concrete bowl.

The arrival of the local crazy dude saved the day. I guess this guy was around in the 80s and never left them or has been in a drug induced state ever since? He had the mullet, the rolled pants and everything. He was a nice guy and would borrow peoples boards, drop in and do the most amazing stuff!! Inverts, big airs, back side air to nose-pick in, all kinds of old school tricks!!

Then he topped it all by riding a wheelie (bmx bike) up hill with one hand while pulling a can of beer out of his pocket, opening and chugging it in the other! A great accomplishment in any ones book!! So after they drank and we baked in the hot super heated skatepark sun it was time to head back. I was really tired of the bikers and neo-tight pants punk kids snaking left and right all day any how. I tried to work it all out but sometimes it takes a while.

I crashed at Calabro's last night and now Dacia is making pancakes!!! So finally, my weekend is getting better! I may try to hit up Wilson in a bit but I am afraid the parking lot will be filled with BBQers.

But on the upside, Man Night Eric is doing a BBQ with his wife and some good old friends today so the end of the weekend should be excellent!!

I hope I can get things figured out soon with work, living situation, woman situation, because when all of that is out of wack, then nothing else works. The cure for me seems to be get on the road. Even if for only a day or two. It helps me remember that I am very lucky to have great friends, a good job, art, music and skateboarding.

I'll just have to remember it next week. I think I am gonna go to either Wisconsin or Ohio. Just keep going until the big freeze.

2 comments:

Nikoli said...

Nice recount! My Portage session sucked... the mini (and the whole park) is REALLY trashed. Ya can't put masonite outside in Northern Indiana. It's just "stoopit!" The coping is also popping off.

Let the Concretins know if ya ever head to Louisville!

mc said...

Man, you shouldnt lie like that. The reason that you could not leep was because you were up all night hunting grasshoppers to put in Owens tent.

Thanks for draggin us out there. Killer times and really good people. I miss hanging with regular folk who have genuine good attitued. I htink city life puts people on edge to-much.